The Parish Church was established by lay folk in 1870, to secure a permanent Evangelical ministry and to meet the spiritual needs of a rapidly growing population. Christ Church parish was uniquely established within the diocese of Manchester as a response to a need for a specifically evangelical church.
Soon after the Parish Church was founded it became clear that for the Gospel message to reach the whole parish further meetings in other locations would be necessary and so a Sunday School was established around the Denton Lane area of the parish.
A few years after the Denton Lane Church of England Day School, was opened in 1875, the Vicar of Christ Church began Sunday evening services in the School; the first St. Saviour’s church was built a few years later in 1909. St. Saviour’s church has been in three different buildings; the current building was opened in October 1986, next to the present Christ Church day school.
The reason the parish was established and it’s mission to expand the gospel has remained unchanged for the last 150 years and this outlook still remains……
We are a lively, Gospel-hearted, Bible-believing, conservative evangelical church. We believe the bible’s teaching on human sexuality and the sanctity of marriage; marriage being a gift from God, between one man and one woman for life.
The interior of the parish church was refurbished in 1995 to allow a more flexible arrangement within the Church. Gone are the stone floors and wooden pews that people expect to find in an old Church building, to be replaced with carpets and comfortable cushioned chairs. These improvements, along with modern data projection and audio facilities (including an ‘induction loop’ system for people with hearing aids) help to provide a warm and friendly place to worship in.