St. Saviour’s

St. Saviour’s

A Sunday School has met on or around the Denton Lane area since the time the parish of Christ Church was founded in 1870. Denton Lane Church of England Day school was opened in 1875. The vicar of Christ Church began Sunday evening services in Denton Lane School in 1893, but St Saviour’s church as such was not built until 1909, the dedication service being held on
January 6th, 1910.

It cost just under £500 to build and was known as “the tin church” – the first of three buildings which housed St Saviour’s Church in the 20th century. The second St Saviour’s building was erected between the old school and the tin church, on the tennis courts, and was dedicated by the Bishop of Hulme in July 1962. There were many problems with the building and it is now in light industrial use.

After several years of meeting in the new Christ Church School (which had opened in 1970), much higher up Denton Lane, the third and present day St Saviour’s building was erected on land adjacent to the school and was opened in October 1986. The banner from the original Denton Lane Sunday School in the 1870s still holds pride of place in the church building, alongside more modern data projection, amplification and other equipment.

 

Upcoming Events

Nov
26
Sun
2017
9:30 am Morning Service – St Saviour’s @ St Saviour's
Morning Service – St Saviour’s @ St Saviour's
Nov 26 @ 9:30 am
See the services page for more information
11:00 am Morning Service – Christ Church @ Christ Church
Morning Service – Christ Church @ Christ Church
Nov 26 @ 11:00 am
See the services page for more information